Our insurance policies cover a wide range of activities conducted at the University of Portsmouth.

From educational, research and trading needs, this page contains information about the University Insurance arrangements for our staff, students and corporate liability requirements.

The information below only aims to give a general overview of the principle policies held and are in no way a definitive guide.

For further information about our Insurance arrangements, you can contact the insurance team by email, or call us on 02392 843308.

Insurance policies:

We provide travel insurance at no additional cost for staff and students travelling overseas on approved University trips.

The policy covers those studying or working abroad for up to 1 year.

This insurance is provided through Royal and Sun Alliance and offers comprehensive cover including:

  • Unlimited Emergency Medical Expenses
  • 24 hour assistance helpline
  • Baggage cover, including laptops
  • Cover if forced to cancel trip or return home early
  • Personal liability cover if you are sued
  • Personal Accident cover

A £50 policy excess will apply to the Baggage and Cancellation Sections for all claims relating to travel after 1st August 2019.

For more information about our travel insurance arrangements including our policy number, please see our summary of insurance cover for staff and students. The full policy wording and policy schedule detail all terms and conditions.

Emergencies and claims

In an emergency (illness, lost travel documents, political unrest) travellers should contact the insurers directly on +44 (0) 2086 084 100 and quote policy number RTT306251 — University of Portsmouth. This emergency phone number is operated by Healix International on behalf of our travel insurance provider Royal and Sun Alliance.

Travellers can set up easy access to these emergency details through a printable Emergency Assistance Card, or by downloading the RSA Travel Assistance App on the App Store or Google Play and entering the policy number RTT306251 as part of the registration process.

Incidental Travel

Sometimes insured people will request extensions to their travel insurance to provide cover for holiday trips in conjunction with formal trips for work or exchange.

RSA believes it's reasonable to extend a business trip, before or after the trip for a number of days depending on the duration of the business trip. For example if there was a trip to Paris commencing on a Wednesday it would be fine to extend the stay over the following weekend or travel a few days early including stopping off en-route either to or from the trip.

Incidental days does not intend to accommodate what would normally be considered to be stand-alone holiday cover, or personal travel to a different country where you are undertaking university business. The following guide may be used, but to discuss any particular trip details you are unsure about, please contact insurancesupport@port.ac.uk.

The number of holiday days that can be taken according to business trip length is as follows:

  • 0 holiday days on a business trip of less than 5 days
  • 2 holiday days on a business trip of 5-12 days
  • 5 holiday days on a business trip of 13-21 days
  • 8 holiday days on a business trip of 22-35 days
  • 12 holiday days on a business trip of 36-50 days
  • 16 holiday days on a business trip of 51-65 days
  • 20 holiday days on a business trip of 66-80 days
  • 23 holiday days on a business trip of 81-100
  • 25 holiday days on a business trip of 101-365 days
  • 28 holidays days on a business trip of over 365 days

There is no cover for pure holidays or for accompanying friends and family member whereby personal travel insurance arrangements will need to be made.

We purchase Employers Liability, Public Liability and Professional Indemnity insurance to cover the wide range of University activities our staff and students are a part of:

You should look for this document if you need evidence of the our liability insurance arrangements, such as working with research collaborators, exhibition organisers, visitors or schools who are asking us to host work experience students.

Important Information for Claimant Solicitors

We expect that notification of claims from Solicitors or Claimant Representatives will be sent by an electronic Claim Notification Form (CNF) submitted direct to our Insurers through the Department of Justice Claims Portal.

Portal Compensator ID: C00108

The University purchases comprehensive insurance for all University owned, hired or leased vehicles whilst used in the UK.

Hire companies or other authorities who require evidence of our insurance should view the Motor Insurance Certificate:

This site uses cookies. Click here to view our cookie policy message.

Accept and close